Saturday, June 26, 2010

Airport Now, Homeward Bound!

Sorry for not posting in a while. My family's internet plug broke, so I didn't have internet access for the last couple of days. And the internet at the church was too slow to load any pictures, but I'll probably post them to Facebook when I get internet access at home in Chicagoland. Right now we're in the airport in Guayaquil, a large urban city on the coast of Ecuador. Our flight was delayed for about an hour and a half, so we're just chilling, waiting for the plane to come.

It was really sad saying goodbye to my family. My host-mom was crying pretty hard when we left, and I'll definitely miss them. They had a dinner and everything to send me on my way. They also gave me a lot of gifts, including jewelry, some Ecuadorian hats, and a hand-painted jewelry box. But right now I'm just happy to be on my way. We're flying al night, so I'm going to be exhausted when we get in. I'll probably sleep for a very long time.

Today we spent in Guayaquil, the largest city in Ecuador. It's very different from Cuenca, much more urban and liberal. We even ended up in the middle of a gay pride parade, something that is hardly even talked about in Cuenca. It's pretty interesting to see the huge cultural differences between even two different cities in the same exact country. Although I'm excited to finally be speaking English again, I know I'm going to miss being able to use my spanish on a regular basis. One of the things I loved most about living in Cuenca was how natural it became to communicate completely in Spanish.

It was also sad to see the US get booted out of the World Cup today. I was really hoping that they'd make it at least past the first round. Oh well, it'll be good to watch the games from home now that I'm out of school during the day when they play. I'm going to finish off this post for now because my thoughts are kind of disjointed. I'm pretty tired and out of it. I'll be even more out of it tomorrow when I fly in! Chao.

No comments:

Post a Comment