Saturday, May 29, 2010

Apparently, there was a volcano... but don't worry

Well, apparently there was a volcano eruption in the north, but I didn't hear much about it until I got on Facebook today! We're fine, about 8 hours from the eruption by bus. The ash cloud might get in the way of flights, but we won't be flying out anytime soon, so all's good in Ecuador.

I've stayed the past couple of nights with my host family, the Delgados. They are absolutely amazing and take great care of me. I have three host siblings, two "sisters" who are 16 and 13, and then one little "brother" who is 2 and a half. It's been great getting to know them and the extended family. The very first night I was with them, they took me to meet a whole bunch of aunts, uncles, and cousins. I'm learning a ton of Spanish through the homestay too.

I'm still adjusting to the food here, though. They eat a lot more meat and eggs down here than I am accustomed to, so I constantly feel stuffed. But their juices are amazing, defintely my favorite part of the cuisine down here so far. The juices are all fresh, made without concentrates or anything added. So far, rasberry (jugo de mora) is my favorite.

Yesterday, we began classes, starting lectures in culture class and taking our placement exam for spanish grammar class. My friend and I are the only ones in level three, so we'll get a lot of one on one attention. Well, more relatives just came to meet me, so I have to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment